Friday, July 16, 2004

not without technical difficulties

This morning, after the whole broo-ha-ha and freakouts over powercords, I found out I couldn't get online.  I tell ya, what my nerves put up with.  A quick call to my fairly sturdy ISP (Primus, if anyone cares) and their tech support folks let me know it was probably the spyware that's been plaguing my machine lately.  A quick view using msconfig showed them all - one by one I read them off to the lovely tech guy, and he confirmed what they were.  The online experience for users is a battle I tell ya - if it's not spam, pop-ups or viruses, it's the blatant evil that is spyware. 

  

I'm running Ad-aware, an excellent spyware program from Lavasoft but still these little !#!$!*%& still show up.  Every page that doesn't show up now gets redirected to the evil that is ShopAtHomeDirect - here's a description of this horrid little program.  That link will take you to the excellent doxdesk.com site, which discusses the parasitic software and what can be done about it. Somehow even deleting the 'SAHUninstall.exe' file - a freakin' PROGRAM installed on your computer without your permission - doesn't stop it.  These people are just plain disgusting. On the bright side, one I get this Aliens-like crap off of my computer, perhaps the Google-popup bar will be able to work again ;)   And I'll try to remember that for every scum-sucking marketing company spying on your Internet habits, there is the odd nice guy such as Andrew Clover over at DoxDesk.com working to rid the online world of these parasitic 'companies'/band of thugs through education and advocacy.



1 comment: