Wednesday, April 28, 2004

got focus?

Apologies for the blatant 'got milk' rip-off there...



weather: cooling off a bit, thank god.

music: none - the damn dog next door won't stop barking

mood: spinning my wheels - not good.




warning: personal rant.



So here I was, composing most of this sitting in a caf� in Silicon Valley with my laptop like thousands of digerati before me. Have I become a clich�, or the clich� of the clich�?



As the date stamp will tell you, I haven't communicated with the blog for a bit. I've been feeling very unfocused and unmotivated in that time - something I'm not proud of. I've never been an ambitious person, but even I am startled by my lack of energy lately. It's more mental energy - although with the heat the Pen's been having the past couple of days, I have no physical energy either. Some days I'm able to finish up the portfolio - other days, I feel like becoming a salamader and just lying on the sidewalk becoming one with the concrete (did I mention the heat?).



Just feeling like I'm at a standstill without the ability to move in any direction. Work, immigration, transportation, home - everything needs attention. The immigration and work variables are inextricably linked. Seems I�ve found myself not only the common conundrum of my generation (�no work, no experience � no experience, no work�) but one particular to a breed of middle class people who have to make things extra difficult for themselves. I have to go off and date someone in another country. You can�t work without a visa, but you can�t get a visa without work. You can�t get a particular visa unless:



a) you show no-one else can do the work � i.e. the employer ran a job search and no other qualified candidates were found;

b) there�s a shortage of people doing x work � i.e. your profession is in demand (nurses, teachers, etc.)

c) you have the proper educational credentials (usually a 4 year degree, specifically in the field for the job you�re applying to)

d) you have the proper amount of experience/work history (at least 2-3 years, again specifically in the field for the job you�re applying to)



Am I missing any other variables? Could I make life even more difficult? Just watch me�



I�m trying to break into a field where most have at least a Masters of Information Sciences, or a computer science related degree (like a focus on Human Computer Interaction). The job ads all note it, and while those without the coveted MIS in the profession do exist, I have no idea how they managed to get into a profession, aside from the fact they can prove they know their stuff and have some sort of sales skills. Do I go back to school, incur another $27K debt at the risk that by the time I get out the minimum requirements will have shifted on me?



When does being a clich� stop? Or when did I start? Does it matter, really? I'm trying to get myself out of this head space, but it's exhausting.



Oh, and to the one brave (yet anonymous...hmm) soul who signed on to receive updates to the blog - thank you. Chances are I might know you or am just related to you (hi, sis) but it would be good to know who you are, or if you're related to the person who answered yes to the question "should I stop worrying about intelligence failures and get a life already'.

No comments:

Post a Comment