Monday, March 15, 2004

learning experiences.

weather: a little too warm, considering it's March

music: damn kitchen appliances buzzing - must turn on a radio

mood: lonely for the East Coast




Arrived back late yesterday from Denver. The wedding was... a wedding (a mix of traditional and not-so traditional, which is always nice). I saw a little of Denver - one of their nicest streets was 16th street, which is an outdoor mall closed off to cars. They also have a free bus running along it... very progressive of them. From what I've seen - including an excellent bookstore, The Tattered Cover and a nice sloppy Mexican food restaurant, Illegal Pete's, the city is definately a must see to return to for a visit.



Alas, now I'm back to where I started... stuck in a strange city, trying to get myself back on track - the irony that there is an active train line (the commuter Caltrain that whistles outside my window every 1/2 an hour reminding me of how far away I am from home doesn't escape me. I'm trying to extend my resources - I have a pretty good sense of where things are located, although of course, being California, it wouldn't be life without a car, right? (yes, I'll be buying a bike). A good set of maps, and now, a good sense of community related activities - thru'

Meetup,

Live Journal and of course that ol' clunky standby, Yahoo! Groups - and those are just the ones online. It still doesn't hide the fact that I'm 3 hours away from all I've known, and 3 hours away from calling up a friend (they'd be eating dinner right now - I can't call them...) but I'm trying to remind myself that it's all a learning experience.



Peter was kind enough to buy me a little housewarming gift - a miniature powder blue Vespa. Although I haven't learned how to ride the big Vespas yet, it's a nice little pick me up - another goal to shoot for. The fact I love the way they look - and can now pick one up and admire it in my hand! - makes it a good start to a career in admiring good design.

No comments:

Post a Comment